Sunday, January 15, 2006

Why Do I Run

Running is hard. It's time-consuming. At times, it can be humbling. Often, there's a lot of physical pain that goes with it. Why do I run? Why don't you? This is a very basic question that has as many answers as there are runners. I asked an old friend (and ex-girlfriend), Shela, that question. I would like to hear your reasons why you run, so, click on the comment button and tell me. In her own words:

"When asked why I run, my response is sometimes different depending on who is asking and why. When asked with such disdain, “So, why DO you run”? I respond, “Because I can”. Or, “Because I am 45 years old, have three grown children and can still wear a size 6”. That’s right. It pretty much allows me to eat whatever I want. Seriously though, because I was for ten years a single mother raising three extremely active daughters, I needed something that enabled me to create and sustain a kind of energy allowing me to keep up with the darlings.
You know, the more I do, the more I can do. Running is affordable and it can be done just about anytime, anywhere. I have run from home, work, softball fields, soccer fields, parks, trails and city streets, in town and out of town, 5:30 in the morning, at noon and at night, in the heat, wind, rain and snow. Shoes, that’s really all I need, no fancy running gear, just shoes. Is running addictive? I don’t know, but, for me, with a little self-motivation, it became habit forming.

To leave out the door for a run I more or less would rather skip because I’m tired or feel like there are a million and one other things I should be doing, but then return from that run having gone even further than intended and having run faster than I would have thought possible is rewarding and empowering. No one can take this away from me.

There are a number of reasons why my sport or activity of choice is running, but, I have always known there is more to life than running. Running along with working, playing, eating, sleeping is an integral part of my life and will be always."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home