Saturday, January 07, 2006

Killing Me Softly



I've had a little soreness in my left hip lately, so, for my long run, I decided to find a soft surface. The Little Blue Trail is perfect for this. It's on the East side of Independence and runs along the Little Blue River. It's semi-wooded, well maintained, but, most importantly, it's made of a packed, fine gravel. Just like the Katy Trail. I started on the north end, but, next Saturday, I think I'll use the trail head on the south end. I'll get the exact address latter, but, it's just off of I-70, by all the new buildings going up, like Joe's Crabshack.

I ran for exactly two-hours and covered 14-miles. It was a beautiful day, yet there weren't too many people out. It's kind of scenic. I like the fact that there aren't a lot of cyclist on the trail, unlike the Indian Creek trail. What are those $%& @#*^&% doing riding on a trail anyway? Take it out on the road, you *&^&@ &@^!

I thought I was doing pretty good running my 8:15 pace, but, I was startled when this black guy wisked by me, like the wind. He wasn't African-American black, he was African black. Was it Shadrack Kimili? Was he real, or just a ghost, a vision?


A soft surface can go a long way in easing the beating you take. They say asphalt is a soft surface, but, it's still pretty hard to me. I'd like to do some running on a grassy surface, but, that's a little hard to find around here. A golf course would be nice. Wish they were a little more open minded about permitting runners. I think my soreness stems from some lunges I was doing a couple of days ago. I was doing them to as a way to prevent this kind of soreness. I jsut have to remember to ease into it.

After the run, I rewarded myself with burito lunch at Los Fuentes with a 32oz ice cold Dos Eques beer. Then a nap. No date tonight, yet. Took my nephew to see the Globetrotters. He liked it alot. It brought back memories of when my dad used to take me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

With only a 30 minute lunch break, it is difficult to work in a hard core workout, although my energy level tells me I can and should. So, I have been power walking for 19 minutes everyday, even today in the snow. This usually creates within myself enough energy to go home a finish my workout. Tonight, my friend Melissa and I will go to the park and play one on one Volleyball, in the snow. Until next time.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home