Thursday, December 29, 2005

Visualization & Supplementation



This is Shadrak Kimili, winner of the KC Marathon.

Today, I headed for the gym. I started lifting weights about a month ago and I was a little overdue. It's important to note that I only supplement my training with weights. I make sure that they don't interfere with the main focus which is running and racing. However, I do think that the lifting is beneficial. Everyone has a weakness, and, should focus on those weaknesses. For me, I tend to develop problems with my hips somewhere during the season. So, this year, I'm going to try to nip that in the bud with added flexibility and weight training.

First things first, though. I have to get my running in, and today, I did 7-miles on the treadmill. Now, for most runners, the thought of spending an hour spinning in your wheels is akin to Chinese water torture. But, I get through it with a little mental tool called visualization. Most often, I'll visualize an elite African athlete, running hard and effortlessly through one of their native envionments, like the Savannah with Mt. Kilimanjaro in the background.

Try it sometime. Use whatever works for you, pick your favorite athlete, and get a very vivid, detailed picture of him (or her) in your mind. Maybe you are in a race, maybe there is a guy (or girl) trying to keep up with you. See and hear the roaring crowd that lines the course. See yourself coming to the finish line. You're neck and neck... Now, back to reality. Notice how fast your are running now? The power of the mind is amazing.

Don't get visualization confused with disassociation. That's when some one puts on their headphones, or watches the TV monitor, or even reads a damn book while they run. They are putting their minds in a distance place trying to separate themselves from what they perceive as the drudgery and pain of training. I'd rather see you focused, and in tune with what your body is going through.

The run is done. Always do it first. Now to the weight room. Remember, I'm a runner who does a little lifting, not the other way around. I'll do about 5 different exercises, and they should focus (I've used that work a lot today) on your core muscles. I tend to just do 2-3 sets of relatively high reps, 10 - 15. I'll hit the bench press and arm curls a little heavier though, not because it helps my running. I just like to look good for the chicks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home