Saturday, January 14, 2006

I Stink, Therfore, I Am

That's what I was thinking as I was waiting to be seated at the Mexican restaurant that is conviently located on the way home from where I do my Saturday runs. I think they may open up a new section there. "Would you like smoking, non-smoking, or stinking?" Ah, the sweet smell of success.

Normally, Saturdays are long-run days. But, I have a half-marathon race next Saturday, and I'm behind in my speed. So, I'm going to introduce you to a kind of combination workout. It's great for marathon training. I usually do it as a mid-week, workout. I went back to the Little Blue trail. It's nice because they have mileage markers. I warm up for a mile, then I do 4 X 1-mile repeats at TP (threshold pace, go back an read Quality counts for an explanation) with 1:15 rest in between. I averaged a little under 7:00 for these. I know, you're thinking, "Hell, I can run 4 seven minute miles" Duh, I can run a lot faster too. The thing is, you want to keep your heart rate in that 85 - 90% Max zone, which for me, is between 160 and 170. The first one will end at 160 and each one will increase until on the last one you end with it at 170.

Now, a month from now, I'll do the mile repeats at that heart rate, but, the miles will be at about 6:30 pace or so. It's kind of neat how that happens. I gradually, but steadily lower my times at the same percieved effort.

Here's the unique part of the workout, after I finish the cruise intervals, I run another 4 or 5 easy miles. This gives me 10 total miles. It's a nice way to pad your weekly mileage. Plus, I think it simulates what you might feel late in a marathon. The intervals dip into your glycogen stores. It's a very effective workout. Add it to your repetoire.

The pic is from a book that the lovely Mary gave me last night. It's loaded with hilarious animal pics with funny captions. Thanks Mary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home