Thursday, January 12, 2006

Tempo Run

This is from the Truman run. Don't know who she is, but, she's pretty hot. The proceeds go to The Sunshine House, which provides services to local handicapped children. Come on down to Independence (white trash capital of the world) and help us out.

Today was the first day my hip didn't hurt in a week, so, I decided to blow out some cobwebs with a 4-mile tempo run. I mentioned tempo runs last week in Quality Counts. It's a type of threshold run, as opposed to VO2 Max interval. Last week's threshold run consisted of mile intervals with a short rest of 1-minute in between each. These were done at threshold pace (TP), which I said was the pace you could maintain in an hour-long race. Tempo runs are steady runs of about 20 to 25-minutes at TP.

I did the 4-mile school route in 26:45, or about 6:40 pace. You know you are doing the right pace when your heart rate is about 85 to 90% of you maximum when you are well into the run. Since my max is 186, that means 165 would be my target rate. Determining you max heart rate will be in a posting next week.

I kind of surprised myself. I didn't think I was in all that good of shape. I need to try to fit in two, maybe three more threshold runs before the Topeka Half-marathon next Saturday, then, maybe I won't embarrus myself.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She looks like she's about 16, whoever she is! ;o)

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home