Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I Thought I Thaw a Tweety Bird

I did! I did, thsee a tweety bird. A weird thing happened to me yesterday, I was walking downtown (KC) when I heard a lyrical chirping on the ground. I looked down, and it was a bright yellow and green parakeet. Just a beautiful bird. So, I slowly walk up to it and almost grabbed it, but, it flew off and landed on the iron gate that guards the FBI building. So, I sloooowly sneak up on it and reach my hand through the gate to try to grab it, and just missed again. I'm sure the FBI security cameras were zeroed in on me. It flew off to the park.

I've been out a few more times trying to look for it, but, no luck. The poor thing. All alone in the cold. I bet the other birds pick on her because she's different. Those starlings can be real bastards.

Sunday, was pretty much a rest day. I did take my fat-tire bike out and rode around the Independence slums for about an hour 15-minutes. Monday, we did the usual 31st street route, a very hilly 5.6 miles. I knew this might be my last quality run before the half-marathon on Saturday, so I tried to push it. I gave Rod a 5-minute head start, but, couldn't catch him. He must have pushed it, too. I ran it in 40:00, which is about a 7:00 pace. I was okay with that. Not ecstatic, just ok.

Since I have run 3, hard threshold runs in the last 6-days, yesterday was a very easy day. I, basically, spent it looking for my bird. No luck. Today, I thought about squeezing in another Quality run, but, then thought it would do more harm than good. So, I just ran about 4.75 at a moderate pace.

The next tow days, I'll pretty much just take it easy. That's called tapering. For a marathon, you taper for a full two-weeks. Since this isn't a life or death race, two-days is enough.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like Rod's "old lady hip" is better. I've been running but need to jump kick it into high gear. I want ro run a spring marathon this year. Spring is right around the corner.

bruce

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home