Saturday, September 02, 2006

From Recovery to Rehab



Here is a side of me that I've never revealed to anybody. My inside. These are some photo-captures from the arthescopic camera during my operation two weeks ago. It seemed to have went pretty well. I even have a video of the operation taken through the knee-cam. It's pretty interesting. It shows the clippers going in and cuting away the tear, and then he goes in with another tool and kind of smooths out the edges.

The whole thing took about 15-minutes. One second, I was in the operating room with the nurses and anthesioligist (or whatever theyer called) bustling around, and in the next instant I woke up in the recovery room. I was startled and the first words out of my mouth were "What the Hell!". From the time I was in the operating room to the time I woke up in recovery it was about 40-minutes. I actually spent 2-hours in pre-op waiting for my turn on the table. I overheard the doctor saying that he needed to get to his softball game by 4. I guess he made it.

To be honest, my biggest fear was that I would be all groggy and my robe would open up in the back exposing my bare ass. Not that I don't have a great ass. I do. In fact, I would have showed it to any one of the nurses on request. It's just that I thought my mom might have seen. I don't think I could have lived with that.

That was two-weeks ago and yesterday I went in to get my stitches out. The doctor seemed to be really irritated that I didn't hobble in there on my crutches and the fact that I didn't have the bandage wrap around the knee. Though he did admit it appeared to be coming along ok. I didn't have the guts to tell him that I had mowed the lawn, lifted weights with the leg, and had even rode my bike 7-miles in the last few days. I didn't want him to fire me as a client. I may need his services again the future.




He made it clear that I wasn't to do any running or biking for another week, but, he said that could do some walking. So that's what I did yesterday. I went to the Bur Oaks nature preserve in Blue Springs. I was amazed at the beauty of the place and the abundance of wildlife, since it was so close to the suburbs. I went down this one trail that was actually closed. One of the bridges had a sink hole at the end. Well, rules never applied to me, and it was kind of nice having the trail all to myself.




There is plenty of excitment on the trail. I was concentrating on taking a close-up of a flower when this big bull snake skitered off from under my feet. I damn near wet my pants.

Towards the end of the hike I had my camera put away in my backpack. Of course, that's when I would stumble on the money shot. Just 15-yards in front of me was Bambi. We both froze. It would have made a fantastic shot. Just like Randolph Scott when he was face to face with a mountain lion and he slowly reached for his winchester in it's leather case, the lion ready to pounce any second, I slowly reached for my camera in the bag. But at the last second, the fawn bounded away, followed by another one that was hidden in the brush next to him. If it had been a mountain lion I would have been chewed to pieces. Randolph Scott always seemed to be able to get the shot off.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home