Monday, August 21, 2006

The Sound of Music



These are some pictures from the Katy Trail. A popular section is at the Rocheport trailhead near Columbia, MO. This is a must do ride. Mid-October is a great time because of the fall foliage, but anytime is great. At the Rocheport trailhead, make sure you check out the tunnel about a half-mile to the West. After that, turn and ride the trail to the East. It is lined with white towering bluffs on one side, and the Missouri River on the other.





Walking out of the doctor's office two-weeks ago I felt like Julia Andrews in the scene from The Sound of Music where she is on the mountain meadow, arms wide spread, singing at the top of her lungs "The Hills are alive with the sound of music!" The prognosis was good. I had some cartilage tears, but with some arthescopic surgery I should be able to resume training as before. He said that other than the tears I had the "normal" wear and tear of an active "middle-aged" man. At that point I thought he must be a quack. I'm only 46 and not middle-aged. I put it down to near-sightedness. I'm sure he'll wear eyeglasses for the surgery.

I was so anxious in the waiting room. I had read the report from the MRI and it sounded dire. You would think that an orthopedic surgeon's waiting room would be filled with athletic people, with athletic injuries. Not exactly. It was filled with old people with walkers and I had a terrible image that this was my future.

I could see myself shuffling down the hallway with my walker, heading for the loo at the end of the hall which seems like a mile away. A decrepit old man, also with a walker, pulls up next to me, and then starts to pull ahead of me. I quicken my pace and edge ahead of him. Agitated, he surges ahead. Now the race is on! Neck and neck we pull through the hallway, the metallic clanging of our walkers echoing through the halls. The pace is frantic now, like a scene from the chariot race in Ben Hur, we are kicking at each others walker. Finally, I dislodge the tennis ball on the end and his walker slides out from under him on the slick tiles. He sprawls helplessly on the floor thrashing about like an overturned turtle. The prize is mine. I'm king of the throne.... Damn! Now I can't go.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your best blog yet, when you got back for a checkup give the ole guy a rematch!

4:37 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Wonderful pictures....loved them!!!

I had to laugh about the BIG race at the end...too funny!!!!

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home