Sunday, March 26, 2006

Finally, it's Spring



I saw my first flutterflys (that's what my childhood friends from Alabama called them) so Spring is officially here. For today's workout, I finally got out on my mountain bike, bluebaby_2. Bluebaby is my roadbike. I went to Landahl nature reserve in Blue Springs. I found a nice loop that took me about 30-minutes to complete. I did it twice. I liked this trail riding session much better than my first one because this trail was a lot less rocky and rooty, in otherwords, less gnarlly. It fairly scenic, and it did have some patches that would test you, just not kick your ass. It had a step, long hill that really worked you. I was a huffing at the top. I think I am getting a little better at the nuances of m-biking. For one, I did fall once, but, I just felt a little more in control. One hour of riding was plenty. It's a different type of workout than road riding or running. It feels more like a hard weight-lifting workout than an aerobic workout. And it hits the upper body as much as the legs.

If you haven't given trail-riding, and I mean real trails, not the flat groomed trails, you should give it a try. Before you go out and spend the big bucks on a bike and all the necessary accessories, borrow a bike from a friend, and find some mediocore trails to see if you like it. The first time out, I went to Clinton Lake trails which were killer. To be honest with you, I was second guessing my decision to take up the sport. But, I had already put big bucks on a nice bike. I was committed.

Working backwords, here's my workouts in the last week:
Sat - 5-miles easy
Fri - rest
Thu - VO2 Max intrvals 5 X 800m @ 3:05; 1:45 rest - This was a kick as workout
Wed - 4.5 miles easy
Tue - Swim 20-minutes
Mon - 6 - 600-meters itervals - This was to prep me for the upcoming VO2 Max bouts

A very serious, but funny, thing happened to me this week. I was taking pictures of my ground hogs which live a field right next to the FBI building. An unmarked car pulled up and turned on it's siren.
"What do you think you are doing?"
"I'm taking pictures of ground hogs."
"You can't do that here."
"But... this is where the ground hogs are."
"Don't you think that's kind of stupid."
"I'm sorry, I didn't know it was illegal to photograph groun hogs."

He took down my name and drivers licence number. I'm afraid I'm The List. I'm sure my phone is tapped. One of these days, I'm going to get pulled off a plane. A hood will be put over my head, and when they finally take it off, I'll be in Guatonamo Bay Prison, in a holding cell with 10 other Jihad fighters.
"What did you do?", they'll ask.
"I photographed a ground hog."
As one, all of the terroists, will take a step back. That's right, "We's bad!"

1 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

Groundhogs!!....LOL...Who would think they would get you into trouble....I'm sure there're reading this now!!!!

Have a great day!!!!

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home