Monday, March 13, 2006

Keep Your Eyes on the Prize

I still can't upload any pictures, so, I'll hold off describing my Florida camping adventures. Instead, I'll get back to my training. Thursday, my first day back from vacation, I did an easy 3.5 miles on the treadmill. I made a mistake of working out too hard, too soon, after my last half-marathon in January, and I paid a big price. It takes a full week to recover from a half-marathon. Friday, I ran an easy 4.5-miles. Saturday, I rested. Sunday I ran a medium paced 6.5-miles. Today, I ran an easy 5.5 on the hilly 31st course. After work, I rode the stationary bike for 15-minutes (4-miles), and then did some light lifting for a half-hour. I haven't lifted for over two-weeks, so I wanted to ease back into it. Tomorrow, I plan to swim for 30-minutes.

Now, for a little mid-range planning. I wanted to shoot for a PR (personal record) at the Raintree Half-marathon on April 9. That was doable. I just had to cut 2:30 from Sunday's Half-marathon. However, the main goal is to win a medal in the Corporate Challenge. The first chances of doing that would be in the 5k on May 13, and the bike race on May 7. Training for a 5k is a lot different than training for a half-marathon. Plus, I would have to take a week to recover from the half-marathon.

I had to make a decision, and I chose the going for the medal in the 5k. The difference in training between the half-marathon and the 5k is is, mainly, the type of quality runs. For the half-marathon (and marathon) the quality runs consited mainly of Cruise Intervals, ie., mile intervals at a threshold pace with a short rest interval (1-min to 1:30) in between.

For the 5k, our quality runs will be the VO2 Max variety. They'll be shorter and more intence. For the threshold pace, we would shoot for 90% of maximum heart rate. For Vo2 max, we will be at 98% of max HR on the last interval. I have a maximum heart rate of 186 beats per min. If, at the end of my last interval, my heart rate is 184, then I know I ran the right number, speed, and duration. A typical VO2 max workout might be six to seven 800-meters at your 5k pace. The rest interval is usually longer than the threshold runs as well.

So, I you are currently running an 18:30 5k, then you will probably run 6 X 800 @ 2:55 with a 2-minute rest in between.

It's important that you ease into these intervals. Hopefully, you've been doing your stride outs, 5 or 6, hard, 100-yard runs during a typical workout. I haven't, nobody really does, though everybody should do. On Wednesday, I'm hitting the track and I'm just going to get my body prepared for the high intensity intervals that will be coming in the 7 weeks ahead. I may do 8-quarters at 90-seconds. It's important to ease into these, because the potential for injury is great, especially to those hamstrings.

That's just your intro into VO2 Max. We'll go into a whole lot more detail in the weeks to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home