Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Mountain Bike 1, David 0

First things first, you remember Tim Whited, see
Man With a Plan? We are going to check on him each month to see if he's on track to meet his goals. He weighed in at 255 today. That's 6 lbs lost in 5-weeks. He's well ahead of schedule.

I picked up my new high dollar mountain bike Friday, and couldn't wait to try out the trail where they are going to have a trail-duathalon in two-weeks. The trail race is at Clinton State Park. I should have known it was going to be a little rough when the bike store mechanic, and avid trail rider, said that it was pretty rocky with a lot of tree roots. That was an understatement.

I drove to park, all excited. I was going to start a new phase of my life. I could see myself riding trails in the Colorado mountains with a back pack and everything. It just so happened that I put in to the trail at a wickedly hard section. It wasn't so much as a trail as just a huge pile of raggedly sharp boulders. It took every ounce of effort just to keep from going head over the handle bars and splitting my head wide open on one of those jaggedly sharp rocks. This wasn't exactly what I had imagined.

Finally, I found a section that was realitivly flat, and rock and root free. I was able to churn out a few miles. Oh, cool, a creek crossing! There were even some flat rocks put together like a little bridge. Only, there was one rock missing, I hit it and went right over the handle bars and into the water. I had a nice not on my knee from that one.

Driving home, I felt like I had just gone 15-rounds with Muhamad Ali. I felt just as bad when I woke up. But, I noticed one thing, my body looked noticably more cut, and defined. I have to say this for mountain biking, it is one hell of a total body workout. Trying to balance going over all those boulders in going up the steep inclines, with your tires spinning out if you don't position your body just right. So, I guess I'll stick with it. I did about 3-hours of riding. I don't know how far I went.

That was Sunday, Monday, feeling sore, I did a hilly 5.6-miles. Tuesday, I did my last threshold run before my race. I ran 4-miles in 27:30. Today, I rested.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thing you're still alive! I hope you had a helmet on. I went out and bought me one the other day. We'll have to go on an easier ride when you get back from florida. Maybe the Katy trail around the 24th of march. I may even take a friday off then.

Good luck in florida

Phil

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home