Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Recovery Mode


I appreciate all of the advice I have received regarding my writing. For
the most part they usually sound like this, "Run a spell-checker you dumb-ass!"

I've even received some advice from a professional writer, The Lady-J, who,
kindly, said that, though, I was, fairly funny, I tended to, from time to
time, used, maybe, a little, shall we say, too many, you know, commas.
Personally, I, don't, think, that, I, do, but, I'm, going, to, defer, to,
the, professional.

I would also like to make an editorial note regarding Saturday's post. I
said that "Heidi Bryant was holding a bowel." In actuality, she is not
holding an internal organ. She is holding a bowl.

The last several days I've been in recovery mode. The amount of recovery depends on the length of the race. A martathon can take, easily, two-weeks of recovery before you can resume hard workouts. You shouldn't race in another for at least 6-months. Unless, you are some kind of masochist, which a lot of runners are.

A 5k can take as little as a couple of days. I expect recovery for my half-marathon to take about 5 - 6 days. That's doesn't mean that I do nothing in that time, instead, I do active recovery of very easy, progressively longer runs.

On Sunday, the day after the race, was basically a total rest day. I did take a 2-mile walk. On Monday, I did a 2-mile jog at lunch with a lot of stretching, then I did another 2-mile jog that night with some light lifting. Yesterday, I was starting to feel a little better, so I did a 4-mile medium run. Today, I'll do 6-miles with some stride outs thrown in, and then, Thursday, I'll do my first quality run.

To be honest, I didn't feel to much soreness. That means I probably, could have ran the race a little harder than I did. But that's OK. The pic is from my trip to Kauai with Yolanda.

That's how you recover from a race. Now, how do you recover from a broken heart?

Weight: 169.4

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home