Monday, June 19, 2006

Why?!

The first thing I do when I get to work is read my e-mails. I called in last Friday so I expected a lot of mail to sort through. One left me stunned. It was from a co-worker on my team. She said that "They had recovered the body Rod's Grandson out of the lake on Saturday". I just stared at the words in disbelief. Rod is my boss. Micha, is his 8-year old grandson that lived in Texas.

I remembered when Rod brought the boy to work as a toddler. He was so cute. I've heard Rod talk to the boy on the phone several times. He's often talked about him, how he was getting so big. He was destined to be a linebacker. My eyes filled with tears and I lay my head down on my desk. Why?!? Why do things like this have to happen to such good people.

There was a link in the e-mail to the local news that had a video clip of the incedent. The Family was on an outing at Lake Buchanon, as huge lake in Texas. He was last seen playing on a sandbar with friends. Then,... he was just gone.

He was a pretty vivacious kid, and 8-years old love to explore. I could just see him on the sandbar, maybe something in the water attracted his attention and led him to seperated from the other kids. Maybe he slipped, unnoticed into the water and there was a sudden drop off. I could picture him, calling out, struggling to keep his head above water, but, there was nobody there to hear his calls. One minute, he's just having fun, and the next, he's slipping into darkness... forever.

Rod is the greatest boss a guy could ask for. He's seen a lot in life. He has two purple hearts from Viet Nam. If I was a soldier, and he was my leader, I would follow him into the depths of hell. He's had to deal with alot in life, including health issues in his family, recently. But, how do you deal with the death of a grandchild that you cheerished? I know that if anything happened to my nephew, my world would end, I mean my world would end. Rod, my heart goes out to you.

-----------------------------------------
I rested Sunday, but today, Monday, I swam for 20-minutes at lunch, then I went to the Minor Park trails for a little over an hour of mountain biking. I found a nice little offshoot that took me up on a steep climb up the side of a hill and to some, what hard core mountain bikers call "Tasty Goodness", a section of rocky trail that will test your skills. I've come along way since that first mountain biking trip last March.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry for Rod, Micha's parents, their family, and Micha's friends. This is absolutely tragic, and 'why?' is the appropriate question.

---------------------------

"Tasty Goodness"...I like that name!!!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

I had about the same thing happen to me tonight...where I said why??? why?? why???.....My Mother called tonight and told me that my Uncle and his wife and 2 kids was in a car wreck...and my Uncle's wife died instantly......the older boy was ok...but the 14 year old...had every bone in his body broke...had to air lift him to another state....Uncle is ok.....bone wise anyway....You just never know....one day you might be here and the next you're not.....Don't take 1 day for granted!!!

I'm really sorry to hear about your Boss's grandson....that is so bad...sending only the best to the family!!!

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home