Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Agony of Defeat



This was a picture of me in my glory days of high school. That's Eric Link in the pic with me of Southeast H.S, a real cool dude. He later went on to run in college, him and Willis Ware were a year ahead of me.

I pulled that pic out to kind of cheer me up. I ran the Corp. Challenge 800 tonight and totally bombed. Three weeks ago, I was feeling pretty strong. I just never recovered enough after that to get in the track work. Mr. Lactic acid reared his ugly head. My body just wasn't prepared for it. The only way to prepare for it is to experience it before the race.

This was a big showcase setting, with a lot of competitors and a lot of spectators. Plus, you have that added pressure of not letting your team down. I felt totally dejected. That's the beauty of the sport, or any sport, for that matter. Everybody experiences failure at some point. It can be quite humbling at times.

I have one last chance at a medal. The Duathalon is in two days. It all depends on how my body feels on that day. This race may actually help. It's not so long as it zaps you, and, it might have woke up a few fast-twitch muscles that I'll need cycling the hills of Shawnee Mission Park. Oh, no...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck!

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home