Thursday, June 22, 2006

Song for Michah

A lot of of concerned friends of Rod have asked for details of last Friday's tragedy. Here is a link to the local news report: link to news report

Below is a poem I wrote. It's my belief that, eventually, the memories of the boy will shine through the pain.



The Boy by the Lake

We head for the Lake, as summer descends
It will be a day filled with family and friends

The Boy runs free, to laugh, and to play
The sun shines down, on this glorious day

He takes off his shoes and socks
To play in the in the cool waters, among the rocks

The surface of the water, shines and glistens
The Lake whispers, and the Boy gets closer and listens

But below the surface, it’s dark and deep
The Boy slips into the arms of Eternal Sleep

The rescuers lay the boy at my feet
Hardened men, but bowed in defeat

My anguished cry pierces the sky
Please, Lord, please tell me why!

Why did you take away my joy?
Punished for the crime, of being a boy

The Somber Ceremonies are performed
And I walk the Lonely Shore once more

I gaze into the Lake, at my reflection
To see a face etched in pain upon inspection

Instead, I’m amazed to see
The face of the Boy smiling up at me.

------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, I joined a Tiffany (see Ultra Woman, in Feb archives) and her regular Wednesday night mountain bike group. They meet at the Smythville trails at 6:30. Most of them are very good riders and some of them are championship level riders. The trails there are very good and the group ride mentality takes over and they ride it very hard. The larger group breaks up into several, smaller groups of riders of a similar level. It's good practice for the mountain bike race. I don't know the trails I don't take the lead, but follow closly on the rider in front of me. It's a rocky and winding trail, but, you just follow the line of the guy in front of you.

My weekness right now is my upper body. As I mentioned before, mountain biking is pretty much a full-body workout. I hold my own for an hour of hard riding, but, now my arms are starting to fade. It's getting harder and harder to make the sharp turns or to position my body just right going up and down the hills. I'm getting sloppy. Finally, we reconnect with a slower group and I join them. Still, I held my own pretty good for not knowing the trail, not taking enough water or eating before the ride. Overall, it was an ass-kicking workout, and a lot of fun.

Monday, I swam for 20-minutes at lunch, then mountain biked for an hour afer work. Tuesday, I lifed weights pretty hard at lunch, and them rode 25-miles on my road bike. Wednesday, was the mountain biking above. Today, I just swam for 20-minutes.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a shame about Micah. Life is precious. I hope more people use flotation devices as a result of this trajedy. I get over worried when my kids are around water. Get them swim lessons or teach them so they aren't afraid of the water. this can reduce the panic associated with swimming.

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home