Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I should have listened to me

This is the "Grand Canyon" of the Pacific on the island of Kauai.

What was the first thing I said on Monday (Recovey mode)? That the minimum recovery time from a half-marathon was 1-week. Did I listen to my own advice? No. Did I pay for it? Yes. I started hitting some very hard workouts just 4-days after the race. Since then, I've had chronic fatigue, insomnia, and sore muscles. These are the classic symptoms of over training. The only cure, rest, total rest. I'm giving myself 3 days of no workouts at all.

That is very hard for me. Most people have a hard time getting themselves to work out at all. For me, it's getting myself the proper rest days. Rest, is an important element to the training formula. It's just as important as the workouts themselves. It's were the body absorbs the work you apply to it.

I was just looking at that March 19 Marathon date, and thought, if I was going to PR, I was going to have to squeeze every inch out of the time I have left. Well, there are no shortcuts. You can't go from point A to point C without stopping at point B. So, I'm going to have to reevaluate my intermediate goals. I could probably still do a March marathon, and even qualify for Boston. But, I want to PR in my next marathon. I think it would take at least another month to get there. The problem is, that would put me right into the Corporate Challenge season, and I've already stated that one of my major goals was to win a medal.

So, instead, I've decided to just take a regular vacation, maybe combining it with a half-marathon in Florida (my second home). I've also decided to shoot for a medal in the Corporate challenge triathalon. I actually place 4th one year. No small feat considering that I'm not all that great of a swimmer (in fact, I suck). Then, I could shoot for a half-ironman in the summer which would set me up for the KC Marathon. If things go right, I could even win the masters division. You have to think big!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home