Thursday, February 09, 2006

Drinks: I'll tell you later

I did a 30-minute swim for Tuesday's workout. I'm not worrying about counting laps or anything right now. Just time spent in the water. It felt like I was working pretty hard. I could still feel the weight workout from the night before. Wednesday I ran 5-miles on the treadmill. Today, I swam another 30-minutes, but, felt a lot stronger. I lifted weights after work.

One of the categories on the Personals profile is labeled "Drinks:" 85% of the woman put down "drinks socially". Another option is "drinks frequently" or "drinks heavily", but, I've never seen any of those. You do come across "Doesn't Drink". These women basically fall into two categories 1) Fundamental Christians, or, 2) Those in Recovery. You'd be surprised at how common this is. Come to think of it, it makes perfect sense, where else are they going to meet men, at a bar? You can usually tell what category they fall in by the way they answer "Religion:” They'll say "spiritul, but not religious".

I've gone out with a couple that were in recovery. One had been in recovery for about 8-years and was very active in AA and even worked with the court system to help addicts and drunks in the system. Many alcoholics and addicts in recovery really take up the cause to save as many people as they can. She decided on another guy, but, fixed me up with another friend of hers in recovery. She was very sweet with sexy legs, but, we just didn't hit off.

I've been in contact with a couple of other women in recovery, the most recent was 8-months sober. Those in recovery can always tell you to how long it's been since they had a drink. It starts out to the day, then to the month, then to the year. She thought it might not be a good idea if we went out, because, you see, I drinks a bit. She said that even the taste of alcohol when we kissed might be enough to set her off.

I know exactly what she is talking about, because there is alcoholism in my family. I have one sister who is 25-years sobriety and is active in AA. My Brother-in-law, who lives in the house on the other side of my mother, will have 1-year in March. When he drinks, he doesn't stop until he needs to be hospitalized. Then, there's my little sister...

My mom took her in about a month ago. The alternative would be to sleep under a bridge. She got kicked out of Hope House. She met a guy, who was also in recovery. He made took up the project of getting her back on her feet. Personally, I would rather stick needles in my eyeballs than deal with her. She was sober almost a month, and had even got a job at the Salvation Army. Then, a few days ago, she just disappeared. No one knew where she went. She showed up the night before last, looking very, very bad. Yesterday, she begged to go to the hospital. It turns out she has a bad infection in her lungs.

Monday, I made up my mind that I wasn't going to drink that day. I don't consider myself an alcoholic, but, I do drinks a bit. I decided I should not drink that day because, well, I couldn't remember the last day that I did not drink. I don't want to give you the impression that I get fall down drunk every night, far from it, but I do drink almost daily, maybe 4 or 5 beers, or a bottle of wine, or a pint of tequila. I guess to most of you that would sound like quite a bit.

Anyway, I decided that I wasn't going to drink anything that night. I quit last year for Lent, and I'm planning on doing it again this year. In fact, I will probably start early this year. Around 9:00 that night, I had a strong urge to hop in the car and pick up a, just a quart of beer. But I fought it off, it wasn't easy. Tuesday night, I had no problem. Wednesday night was my TV night and I love to drink a bottle of fine Pinot Noir while I watch Lost. So I treated myself to a very fine one. Today, I felt a little bad about it. Nothing tonight, and I'm not going to drink tomorrow night either. I'm staying home to watch the Olympic ceremony and then I'm running in a trail race Saturday morning.

One result of the two-day abstinence is I that I lost 4 lbs in the last 3 days. I expect I'll lose another 1/2 by the time I weigh in tomorrow. I've been eating a regular diet (I'll tell you about it next week) and I've been pretty much maintaining my weight. That's a minor victory because I typically gain weight over the winter. However, not that I don't have the added 500 calories from my beverages du jour, its starting to melt off. Add the swimming and lifting I've recently added and I can already see the added definition throughout my body. Things are looking up.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alcoholism and addictions are genetic by nature. I have it in my family and I have it myself. The urges for alcohol and other is always there. Jay has had a tough time with his hep-c treatment. I hope he makes it through. I have known alot of people who have died from it. Evercise is good for the body. Exercise is a great release of stress, releases chemicals that make us feel good. Helps improve self-esteem also. Improve, max )2 uptake,cardiac output, metabolism, muscle mass, capillary /mitochondrial density of muscle, HDL, mus strenght, efficency of muscles.Lowers RHR, BP, body fat, LDL, blood sugar control, functions of ligments/tendon and joints. Counteracts, osteoporosis, diadetes, heart disease and obesity!

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home